Ayi’s lower canines were trapped in and just behind the upper ones, digging into her palate. It’s called malocclusion. Options include total extraction, cut and cap, or braces (actually a retainer of sorts) to coax the lower canines to sneak out past the upper ones. We need about 3 mm on each canine. One vet said he thought Ayi was already too old for this to be successful. Another vet seemed pretty confident it could work. Worst case, we wind up doing all three options if a lesser invasive one fails. Like all parents, we of course want to save the kid’s teeth if we can … and as a guardian, she needs them.
This ‘puppy’ is not supposed to chew on anything other than soft food for two weeks. If the retainer comes out, she has to go back again for more anesthesia and another fitting. She is now confined to kennel with no toys, off goat duty, can’t play and run with the big dog, and has to wear a cone.
Oh, did I mention Anatolians love to create mounds of chew toy collections … logs, rocks, sticks, etc. She especially loves round, flat rocks from the creek. Wish us LOTS of luck keeping her from chewing something.
I asked the vet if Ayi could swim because she is the first Anatolian we’ve had that has actually gone into water deeper than she can stand to paddle around a little. She loves water. Vet said swimming is probably fine … just getting her back into cone and on leash after freedom might be dicey.
Anyway, here are pictures of both — the new retainer molded onto her upper teeth and pallet and yesterday swimming in the pond.
… freshly baked meatloaf, fried okra, and hint of wood smoke from the fireplace
Imagine walking into a country home, about Twighlight … you are greeted by warmth on a cool evening, accompanied by fragrances of wood smoke from the fireplace, meatloaf baked in the oven and fried okra …
Y’all know we are all for self-reliance and personal resourcefulness …
HOWEVER, sometimes it helps to have an expert.
Watch Blake maneuver the excavator in the video below. Pay close attention to the tracks on the excavator as it goes by the tree, and after. I would not try this. Blake E. is the operator … he can do anything with machines big and small — he prefers Caterpillar, but in this situation, that was too much machine.
These days, we think of the fire as the “gift” that keeps giving. The scope and magnitude of the unexpected and unplanned-for work is formidable.
Anyway, things move along and here are some quick updates:
Lucy: we think she is 1 month pregnant. If so, due date is January 2023
Ayi now weighs 100 lbs. She has dental issues and will need her lower canines cut down and capped.
I call the new bottle-calf “Junior”. He’s doing very well.
The 170-year-old water ditch, the all-important conveyance of water with senior water rights, has been aged another 100 years by the fire. Our current focus is related to getting that working again for another year.
Burn-scar run-off, debris, invasive species and silt have forced us to deal aggressively with about 1/4 mile of ditch (it’s about 1.6 miles long, overall). We are literally digging it out, by-hand and with machine. Yeah, that old guy with poor posture in the above picture is me. We’ve been doing this for a number of days now. David is following-up with a shovel to get what the machine can’t. We are deeply indebted to the ingenuity and availability of machinery and diesel fuel!
In the above photo, David estimates that we removed three dump-trucks worth of debris and sediment from this 300 ft of ditch alone.
While we are doing this, two other ditch members are raking out grass and vines trimmed by the CCC crew. Two members have weed trimmed some areas of the ditch the CCC crew didn’t get to. Another member is helping with machine transport and refueling. And today we have more help: 1) one of the guys that excavated last year for us will help us today with the machine in some dicey areas, and 2) a couple other members will help out with the digging today.
We have some other repairs to complete but hope to have water flowing by next week sometime.
This time, it’s as an excavator operator. Granted, it’s a tiny one, only 4,000 lbs (not the 20,000 lb one we had last year for the water ditch pipeline project).
Since the fire, we have invasive grasses and blackberries filling our community’s water irrigation ditch. In order to conserve water and the proper operation of the ditch, we are removing these invasive things. The grasses are really bad because they slow the water, catch sediment, and fill the ditch so that it can’t carry water properly.
I’ve never operated an excavator until today, but so far, so good. I moved tons of silt and invasive grass roots this afternoon. Much more to do. We don’t want to use chemical pesticides or herbicides on this system. Last year we tried to dig some by-hand and it just wasn’t doable.
Dairies sometimes cross their milk cows with beef breeds, such as Angus. The bull calves are typically sold to be raised as beef steers. We haven’t raised beef on this ranch (though we both raised bucket calves for beef steers when we were growing up). Anyway, young calves can consume a lot of milk, so for now, all Lucy’s spare milk goes to him. We just hope Lucy doesn’t adopt him … then we’ll have a problem. The plan is to milk Lucy as always, and give the calf what we don’t need.
We haven’t named this little guy yet … Brownie and Chocolate are obvious go-to names for him, but we already have a Chocolate. Brownie just doesn’t sound right for a beef steer.
Also, a side benefit for us with today’s trip to get the calf was that we drove right by the ranch of some friends we haven’t seen in a long time. We stopped in just as they were coming home from errands and chatted up a storm over some farm-brewed iced tea. It was great to see Nelia and Warren!